Want her number? You should read this story- It’s got legs.
Picture copyrighted to Redheadedninja “Used with permission”
Ladies and gentleman, make no mistake about it. You’ve been looking for love in all the wrong places. You should have been looking in all the dog places, instead. At least, that’s according to Deborah Wood, author of The dog lover’s guide to dating: Using cold noses to find warm hearts. Wood claims that dogs are the ideal date bait. And, according to science, she might be right.
Anthropologist Peter Gray and his research team from the University of Nevada gave the matter some thought. The team looked at the role pets play in the dating arena. They set out to ask questions such as ‘do pets increase your sex appeal?’ and ‘are some pets better at scoring a date than others?’
The researchers noticed that females put more time into direct care-taking while males put more energy into their reproductive success. Therefore, the researchers hypothesized that single women will place more value on how a potential mate treats a pet while men will be more likely to employ their pet as a “social tool” to attract a potential mate.
Given that dogs require more care than a cat, they also hypothesized that owning a dog would trump owning a cat in the dating arena. A dog being a better indicator of a person’s ‘warm and fuzzy’ caregiving capabilities.
Gray and his colleagues collaborated with PetSmart – a pet supplies company – to recruit 1,210 single pet owners via the online dating site, Match.com.
Online subjects were given a 21-question survey on how pets factored into people’s dating lives. It included questions such as ‘What is the hottest pet a guy could own? And, ‘If your date’s pet could fit into her handbag, is that a turn-on, a turn-off, or neither?’
The Results: <drumroll>
- Can’t buy me love. That’s right. Ditch the expensive pet shop. Instead, get a rescue pet. Not only is it way cooler and more ethical to adopt a dog but here’s a hint: It also brings your SexyBack. Yeah.
Survey says: 59% of the singles said pet adoption makes you more attractive.
- Barking up the wrong tree. Whatever you do, don’t tell a gorgeous girl in the room that you hate cats. Chances are she has three of them.
Survey says: 66% of men and women would not date you if you don’t like pets.
- Head of the pack. There is nothing more appealing to a gal then when you act all lovey-dovey with your pet, right in front of her. It shows you do have a soft and nurturing side. And gals, if you really love cats and you want to hug every cat, and you’re sorry, but all you can think about is cats, well, it might just be a problem.
Survey says: 70% of singles would judge their date based on the way they acted towards a pet. Sorry, e-harmony cat lady.
- This dog can hunt. Guys, you got this one.
Survey says: 22% of men and 4% of women admitted to using their dog as a date bait. Meet your new best wingman.
- There’s no dog in this fight. If you’re a ‘cat person’, be prepared to stick with your own kind.
Survey says: ‘Cat people’ are more open to relationships with ‘dog people’ than ‘dog people’ are to ‘cat people.’ If you wanna hold her hand? Looks like you both need to be cat people. Or you both need to be dog people.…or
- Pet purse peeve. Pooch-in-a-designer-bag? Looks like she’s an uptown girl, living in an uptown world.
Survey says: If a women’s pet can fit in her handbag, she’s just turned off 28% of the men.
And last but not least, here’s the clincher….
8. She’s only got puppy eyes for you. If you want to be sexy, get a dog.
Survey says: 72% of women say a dog is the “hottest pet a guy could own.”
Well, the cat’s outta the bag on this one. It looks like owning a dog truly is the ultimate date bait. And adoption is the trifecta – not only is it smokin’ hot, it saves lives, and may even just win you a date.
For more information on how you can adopt your next pet, visit your local pet adoption agency or visit http://www.adoptapet.com/dog-adoption